Sunday, March 25, 2007

I'm in the NY Times!

Kind of...

(Click pic for larger view)
Can you spot me? The photographer, Peter Rad, stayed at the Belmont and convinced whoever was sponsoring the article (a pictorial on the hip new spots in Dallas) to run a photo of the hotel lobby (using a couple of my co-workers and myself in the background). Exciting!

Also, I was exposed to one of the coolest fucking artists and some of the most amazing work I've ever seen last night at a random "game night" (friend of Gabby's). His name is Andy Goldsworthy and it is so incredible. He is essentially a "nature artist", patiently building elaborate structures made out of rocks, wood, leaves, ICE, and put together in the most intricate way, with the shapes and colors painstakingly melded together. I'm enthralled. Check it.


He even lays down on the ground for the duration of a rain or snowstorm to get this effect:


Some incredible favorites:






For more, he's got a DVD and several books which chronicle his work. Fucking insane. He's a mad genius and I love it. Cheers.

XO,
S

3 comments:

Anton Seim said...

Those are sweet. I'd like to get my hands on one of his DVDs. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. How are your philosophy skills applying to you everyday life? - Just curious.

blackmarketfunnelcakes said...

Well, as far as applying logic to everyday life, I am without. Existentialism helped me a lot in dealing with the fact that I'm responsible for everything that I do and I can't make excuses for myself. I still do, of course, but the difference is that I never successfully convince myself that I'm excused. So, yeah. How about you?

SLEEP WHALE said...

you met andy goldsworthy?! shut up