Tuesday, August 26, 2008

homesick

homesick

it's such a weird feeling. i love israel and i know these next however many months are going to be fucking incredible. i already feel healthier, physically and mentally, that i'm here. i even consciously say to myself, "i'm in a new place, so i can do ____ even if i don't do it at home", whatever _____ productive thing may be.

but i just happened upon some photos from my birthday and new year's and i got an ache in my stomach. the kind you get when you're about to cry. i want to. cry, that is. i miss the last year that i've had. it's been incredible and every single person that i've met and connected with (you know who you are if this has happened) leaves a twinge of this ache every time i think of any of you.

so if that's what being homesick is, then i am homesick. terribly. but it keeps you with me, so i think it's ok. and i know that it's important not to dwell on the past, especially being in such a special time and place in my life. so i will not, but it IS particularly important for me to recall these events and people and times that i've had. because they were very special too, even if they weren't obviously significant.

i like sufjan stevens. he makes me feel melancholy and giddy and cheesy. and maybe very honest. and that said honesty means something. even if it doesn't.

that said, i miss you guys. some very exciting things are happening here music and life-wise that i wish you were here for. but you'll know. i won't worry.

love always,

sally

4 comments:

Bear-A-Saurus-Rex said...

i think its good that you miss your loved ones.



its pretty natural to want to share you best experiences with the people you love most.


keep on truckin glass. i heart you.

Black Market Funnel Cakes said...

i heart you back dude. the girl im here with reminds me of you so much.

Wordchemist said...

Hehe, your homesick and i'm sick of home...irony at its finest. I remember when I was living in Israel I was a little homesick in the beginning. I mean try celebrating your 21st birthday in a country where if a 2-year old waddled up aimlessly to a vendor brandishing 12 shekels he wouldnt have to wait until he's 13 to become a man, or an alcaholic. Alls I can say is dont take anything for granted there, make memorable friends and bask in the good times because it never really settled in towards the end that I probably wouldnt see most of these people ever again and except for a handful its true. I wish I was in Israel right now, thank god for a vivid imagination ; )

rowdyroddyp said...

Sally, I got homesick on my first week long boy scout camp. It was one of the worst feelings of my life. No one can understand the feeling unless they've been there! Awful...and affects you physically as well as emotionally. It's funny that for me, I started the day pretty good and it got worse toward nightfall. Stay busy and talk to friends, just like you're doing. Tell Matt I said Hi! I'm glad to hear that he's a happy soul. Love you Sweetheart!!